Oh, hey Friday afternoon. How you doin', you magical beast?
How is everyone? How was your week? Looking forward to the weekend??
My week has been good:
- I got a commissioned print off the list and made a sweet new one for a baby soul on the way.
- A logo I've been designing for a local business is in the bag. Ordered the business cards for that project today. Hooray! I'm so glad we got it done.
- And how about that awesome autumn weather? Amazing wind storms and sunshine. Hello FALL!
- I started walking more this week.
- I got vulnerable on my Facebook page and had so much support. (People are awesome).
- I ate some licorice chocolate.
- Life was decently delicious.
But, as life is not without it's challenges, not everything was rocking around here. My dog got me up the other night at about 3 am so she could rummage, sniff + snort under our deck. Hunting for raccoons or rogue cats, perhaps. She obviously has no sense of the existential dread I face when I am awoken at such a god-awful hour. Little rat. She's darn lucky she's adorable, because honestly, I am not a happy mama without a solid 8 on the pillow. Plus: why the heck is 3 am the time that our brains decide to highlight all our imagined fears and let them run around like a hamster on a wheel. For real, though. UGH.
I updated the iOS on my phone this week and ever since my brand new battery drains to a big fat zero in the matter of about two hours. Get it together APPLE, my goodness. It's a little frustrating, honestly, and I'm about to reset the update because I'm not a fan.
Oh, but really. Any of the complaints I have these days are very first-world so I will save you too many details. Life is good right now and I intend to just soak it up.
I have come across some fun things that have kept my little artist heart floating on wings this week. I stumbled across the design website Canva and, although I haven't spent much time looking through it yet, I am excited to get there. It looks pretty rich.
When I'm working on new art or packaging stuff up, I binge listen to podcasts. I am a podcast fanatic. This week I found a new podcast called Let it Out with Katie Daleabout and it's so good. Also I found the podcast called Accused, which chronicles a 1978 murder investigation that was never solved. A young American reporter is looking into why police stopped investigating the case after their initial suspect was acquitted. Do not ask me why, but I tend to love these juicy true crime stories. The first one I ever listened to was the classic Serial. CBC also has one called Someone Knows Something. Interesting stuff. If any of these interest you, click the links and you will be directed to the sites where you may be able to subscribe or listen. Do you guys have any recs for interesting, inspiring, radical podcasts? Send them my way! Always on the hunt for new ones.
Negative space and contrast have been calling my attention. With my #100dayproject I've limited myself to a palette of black and white, so it's easy to see why these elements are worming their way into my heart. Although, if I'm being honest, there are moments where I jones to paint with ALL THE COLOURS. But, you know, the challenge of not being able to use a lot of colour forces me to be creative (the whole point) and find new ways to see old things. Cool. Here are a few of the recent ones I've done in this style.
I am SO EXCITED to send out the SPREAD LOVE mini's to all you wonderful humans that so lovingly jumped on board with me! THANK YOU! It fills me with tingling sparks of joy to know that people in the world are going to come across these sweet little messages of love which will (hopefully) brighten up their life. It would be quite something if this become a LOVE REVOLUTION, wouldn't you say? How amazing would that be? It is entirely possible.
Next week is a short week. Not that it means much when you work from home, but still.
Next week there should be:
- a formal announcement about a really great Fall Giveaway that may or may not include some other wonderful products made by local creative business women--WHOO!
- a post about the SPREAD LOVE project. Read about that here. It's so exciting you guys! I am really looking forward to see what happens.
- a post about some customizable prints that I want to offer you at a stellar price
- maybe maybe mayyyybe there will be a sneak peek of Christmas designs. I know-you don't even want to think about it yet, but unfortunately I have to and I know some of my customers need their supply very soon because they mail overseas, so onward I go with Christmas designs
Well, it's a long weekend and I have a list of stuff to get done--garden clean-up, clutter purge, laundry. OY. But, there's also a day or two of food, family + friends on deck. Hopefully there will be an outdoor adventure in there and some snuggle time too. Enjoy your days people! Remember that you are magic + love, with all your heart, the ones you're with. 3 cheers to you + yours.